Allen PD

Allen Police are investigating a murder-suicide that left six people dead.  

Sgt. Jon Felty said authorities were dispatched to the 1500 block of Pine Bluff Drive in Allen on Monday morning around 1 a.m. after a family friend of one of the victims called and said one of the residents was suicidal.  

Dispatched officers arrived on the scene to conduct a welfare check to find six deceased people – Farhan Towhid, 19, and Tanvir Towhid, 21, their sister Farbin Towhid, 19, their mother Iren Islam, 56, father Towhidul Islam, 54 and grandmother Altafun Nessa, 78.  

“Two of the brothers that resided there had agreed to complete suicide and then they ended up taking the entire family with them,” Felty said. He added that there was “no indication” that the other four victims agreed to the suicide pact.  

Farhan Towhid posted a lengthy suicide note on social media beforehand that began by saying he has had depression since the ninth grade.   

“Not the ‘damn, I failed my test’ depression everyone says they have, more like a ‘I only cut myself twice today, that’s better than usual,’” the note said. “My life was perfect. That was the issue. My life was perfect, but that didn’t change the fact that I was depressed.”  

Farhan’s lengthy note opened with “Hey everyone. I killed myself and my family,” and documented a history of self-harm and dwindling academic performances due to depression. He added in the note that he was prescribed 25 milligrams of desvenlafaxine (an antidepressant commonly sold under the trade name Pristiq) and doubled his dose, “which worked, but only temporarily.”  

The suicide note, which achieved virality on social media sites such as Reddit, also detailed the motive for killing the family.   

“I love my family. I genuinely do. And that’s exactly why I decided to kill them,” it said. “If I killed just myself, they would be miserable. They would spend the rest of their lives feeling guilt, despair and a multitude of other adjectives that mean sad … Instead of having to deal with the aftermath of my suicide, I could just do them a favor and take them with me. None of us would ever have to feel sad again.”  

No surviving witnesses were reported.  

“We’re still processing the scene, obviously, but I think it probably occurred more like on Saturday,” Felty said. “Our investigation is revealing we think it occurred sometime [on] Saturday.”  

Police are still investigating.

You must be logged in to react.
Click any reaction to login.

Recommended for you

Load comments