House fire

The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) states that 30 percent of home fires and 38 percent of home fire fatalities occur during the months of December, January and February.

This time of year local fire departments remind residents of ways to protect their homes from a fire.

Statistics from the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) indicate that 30 percent of home fires and 38 percent of home fire fatalities occur during the months of December, January and February.

Fire departments offer several other tips.

Officials remind those who have a wood-burning fireplace to have it cleaned and inspected yearly since the creosote can build up in the chimney and start a fire.

Those using a space heater should take precaution. Data released by local fire departments states that 21,000 fires a year are a result of space heaters.

Officials recommend keeping a distance of 3 feet between a space heater and any combustible material.

Space heaters can overload extension cords and power strips and cause a short, so they should be plugged directly into a wall outlet, officials say.

They also recommend using a space heater that automatically turns off if it's knocked over.

Christmas trees and candles are two of the most dangerous components to holiday fires, authorities say. One out of every 22 Christmas tree fires results in death.

Officials say if families use a live Christmas tree they should make sure it remains watered and that it's not located too close to a space heater. Artificial trees should come with a label that states it's fire resistant, and tree lights should be in good working order.

Other tips include not running an electrical cord under carpets, rugs or furniture, and they should not be run out a window.

All decorations should be at least 3 feet away from an open flame. Candles should not be left lit and unattended. And officials say LED lights should be used as they produce less heat.

Local exterminators have advice as well. They say small animals can get into attics and chew on wires, which can start a fire.

Mark Shetterly of Critter Control said 80 percent of homes have an animal issue where they cause damage in the attic. He said it’s estimated that of those homes, 40-50 percent has wires that have been chewed on by animals.

Shetterly said while that doesn’t always lead to a fire, it does happen.

“There are a lot of factors,” Shetterly said. “But we’ve seen squirrels get electrocuted in the attic. A lot of it depends on if the wire is over a metal conduit or not.”

Shetterly said industry experts believe when a fire is caused by an unknown origin that there’s a 50-50 chance it was started by wildlife.

Shetterly suggested homeowners get an inspection from an exterminator. He said if the company notices signs of wildlife gnawing on wires it will remove the insulation, repair the wire and replace the insulation with cellulose insulation, which he said takes much longer to smolder than typical insulation.

Follow us on Twitter!


Follow Chris Roark on Twitter!


Like us on Facebook!


You must be logged in to react.
Click any reaction to login.

Recommended for you

Load comments