The Lake Dallas athletic trainers were honored with the Safe Sports School Award for the second consecutive time last month in regards to their commitment to the well being of athletes.
They received this prestigious two-year-long award from the National Athletic Trainers’ Association via the Texas House of Representatives.
Head athletic trainer Jorge Martinez ensures that the athletic trainers go above and beyond in regards to the safety of the student athletes.
“We provide emergency action planning,” he said. “We have individualized plans for each sport and venue.”
Although the Athletic Training Department received the Safe Sports Award for their dedication to the wellbeing of athletes, their commitment goes beyond the athletic department.
“We are all about the safety of our student athletes,” Martinez said, “but we also look out for everyone.”
Martinez praised the work ethic of the athletic trainers who continuously work hard to be prepared for unexpected scenarios. In order to achieve Safe Sport School status, LDHS completed the following:
- Create a positive athletic health care administrative system
- Provide or coordinate pre-participation physical examinations
- Promote safe and appropriate practice and competition facilities
- Plan for selection, fit function and proper maintenance of athletic equipment
- Provide a permanent, appropriately equipped area to evaluate and treat injured athletes
- Develop injury and illness prevention strategies, including protocols for environmental conditions
- Provide or facilitate injury intervention
- Create and rehearse a venue-specific Emergency Action Plan
- Provide or facilitate psychosocial consultation and nutritional counseling/education
- Be sure athletes and parents are educated of the potential benefits and risks in sports as well as their responsibilities